The Internet is one place which has blurred lines between the real and virtual world. Technology has made its space from desktops into our hands via smartphones. This is good progress but with this, the thieves are on the run. The location independence and anonymity that comes with the internet muddles the moral character of even an ethical person. There can be no assumption made that the information in phones is safe from malicious intentions of the human mind. The first thing that you need to do is protect the data. The next would be learning about the new threats, stay updated and take the necessary precautions to keep the data safe.
Here are some tips that will help you give some insights to keep your devices safe.
- Creating strong passwords is all that you need to do. Do not save the passwords on your device even if it’s convenient and saves your time. All you need to do is secure your passwords safely. Criminals are getting smarter day by day and all they need is just a few clicks to rob you of your data.
- All you need to do is be conscious of your privacy settings. Many of the apps offer privacy settings for users. This will give the freedom to share only the information they want to share. Choose to share as less as possible data.
- You need to obtain the most reliable security for your phone. Phones require protection same as any other devices. There are many service providers which offer free services. But availing free services can be risky as they may mine data from your phone. Always go for a well-known service provider.
- It is very important to back up your data via reliable hardware or software. Backing up data is overlooked, but it is one of the most important aspects. Ransomware is a type of attack where the hackers will hold your data hostage in return of a ransom. There are cloud-based services which offer backup.
- Your devices need to be anti-theft. In case your gadgets are lost or stolen, tracking apps will help you find it. You need to secure your data before they get into the wrong hands.
- Always be careful with your phone, and always use a password. It may look tedious to always unlock the phone with a password but that is the first line of defense in case your phone gets lost or stolen. You may find a vast amount of malware, trojans, and worms finding ways to get to your device, so it is better to stay protected with a security system that will do all the work for you.
- Bluetooth is an incredible technology which opens door to vulnerabilities. It opens doors to security weaknesses. Make sure to turn off your Bluetooth when not in use. There are options offered to place your Bluetooth activity which can be invisible or undetectable, as there are malicious apps which can change the mode and expose your device to threats. And that is why you need to have a security system in place.
- It is important to keep the operating system up to date. These system updates can be annoying and time-consuming, but they are very important. Other than improving the functionality of the device, these updates and patches also contain some critical security updates. All you need to do is update it as soon as possible.
- You need to be careful with the public Wi-Fi. Unlike homes, this connection is not encrypted. Public Wi-Fi keeps you at risk of monitoring your online activity. This malware can infect your device. Ensure that you have turned on your firewall and have up-to-date malware protection or there can be problems. Also, do delete the data that is of no use.
- If you have subscribed to any service and are not using it then it’s better to unsubscribe from it. There are many social networks that you might have signed up to and willingly you might have given up your information. When these services disappear, they will take your information and sell it as an asset.
We cannot say that all the protection methods are 100% full proof. But there are plenty of things which you can do to keep your data safe. The above methods are some of the ways which will help you in protecting your data.